The Institute of Chemical Engineering Sciences (ICE-HT) of the Foundation for Research and Technology – Hellas (FORTH), in the framework of the project ARCHERS, which is funded by an exclusive donation of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, is seeking to recruit one Ph.D. candidate. The project aims at reducing or even reversing the brain drain by providing high quality research opportunities to young scientists of Greek origin.
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation – FORTH fellows are expected to perform high quality research within one of the research areas, in which FORTH/ICE-HT excels both on the national and the international level (www.iceht.forth.gr). More specifically, the domains of interest in the present project are the preservation of cultural heritage and the science and innovation in the areas of environment, clean energy and health.
Title of research assignment: Resource recovery from wastewater streams
Job Description The research work concerns the following: recovery of nitrogen and phosphorous as well as biomass from landfill leachate and/or agro-industrial (dairy, olive mill waste) wastewater will be the target recovered products. Nitrogen, phosphorous and biomass could be used as fertilizers or composts and alleviate nutrients deficiency in Europe. Adsorption, biological filters, electrochemical oxidation, and constructed wetlands will be tested for the recovery of useful products and the integrated management of landfill leachate and/or agro-industrial wastewater.
- B.Sc. degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering
- M.Sc. degree in Green Chemistry and New Technologies or closely related subject
Good knowledge of Greek and English language
Criteria for Selection
- Grade Point Average (G.P.A.) of the M.Sc. studies (20 %)
- Good experience in analytical techniques and in using HPLC (20%)
- Experience in experimental techniques for wastewater treatment and resource recovery (25%)
- Experience in landfill leachate treatment (25%)
- Participation in conferences and publications in refereed journals (10%)
- Grade Point Average (G.P.A.) of the undergraduate studies
- Grade Point Average (G.P.A.) of the M.Sc. studies
- Publications in high impact peer-review journals
- Participation in national and international conferences
- According to international practice, the academic age will be taken into consideration as a selection criterion. The fellows should have started/or be about to start their Ph.D. studies but should not have completed their 3rd year. Preference will also be given to Ph.D. candidates, who are under 30 years old.
Location: FORTH/ICE-HT, Patras, Greece
Start Date: 1/1/2018
Duration of appointment: 12 months (with possibility of extension according to the needs of the project).
Application Submission Interested candidates who meet the aforementioned requirements are kindly asked to submit their applications, no later than the 30th of October 2017, 23:59 local time (Greece) to the address firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more informantion please visit: http://www.iceht.forth.gr/jobs/2272_PhD_Fellowship.pdf